Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Fourth of July!

I just wanted to post a quick update to say that the Countdown is taking a slight break amidst all of the goings-on concerning the holiday weekend, family gatherings, travel, etc. With the current schedule, today would be time to post the selection for 1946, but as I said, the Countdown will take a short holiday break itself and enjoy the festivities. For all of the Americans who follow the blog, I wish you all a happy Independence Day! I wish it for everyone else as well, but I'm assuming it's not a big deal outside of the States or among non-Americans. Things will return to the usual schedule next week.

I also will leave everyone with two excellent YouTube video clips narrated by David McCullough. McCullough is arguably the greatest popular historian of his generation and the passion that he feels for the people who suffered through the American Revolution comes across in these clips. I actually got goosebumps at times watching these, listening to him speak. Amazing tuff.

The first clip concerns the common people who bore the brunt of the suffering during the war. The second rightly praises the man who seemingly single-handedly held the revolution together at times.



1 comment:

  1. Happy 4th to you Dave. Look forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete